Umeå Today is Umeå’s new, very own, bilingual multimedia online news source. We, the editorial staff of Umeå Today, promise the following to the people of Umeå:
– That we will report all the local news that is important to your daily lives and decision-making.
– That we will give equal coverage to all people in Umeå, whether born here or not, regardless of ethnicity or mother tongue, or any other feature of their identity.
– That you will always get the news in two languages — Swedish and English — so that as many people as possible in the Kommun can understand it.
– That we will make sure that all points of view are represented on any issue about which reasonable people might disagree.
– That we will always be as accurate as possible in our reporting, double-checking facts whenever possible, and not repeating unsubstantiated claims simply because they might sound enticing to read.
– That we will not use stock footage, doctored photos, or unrelated dramatic images to represent events.
– That we will not omit or include stories because we are friends — or in some other way associated — with the subject of that news.
– That we will never use “native advertising”: stories that appear like real news, but are actually paid ads.
– That we will never use social media to manipulate you into misunderstanding the news, into consuming products or services, or into focusing on certain stories without a proper journalistic justification.
– That we will always be open to your feedback, and try to improve our journalism according to what you, the readers, see as fit.
– That we will never allow ourselves to be intimidated out of telling an important story because it may be unwanted by persons in power.
– That, in general, we will strictly follow the ethical guidelines of the Swedish Union of Journalists.
Erik Campano, Publisher